Gascon ready to work with ICC in Duterte probe


Jose Luis Gascon, chief of the Commission on Human Rights, said that the International Criminal Court (ICC), announced by ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda earlier this week, will be working with the CHR to investigate the alleged crime on anti-drug war that President Rodrigo Duterte carried out since July 1, 2016, giving the police officers the authority to kill drug suspects.
The ICC's initial inquiry helps prosecutors to determine if there is enough evidence of crimes that fall into its jurisdiction, leading to a full probe and eventually charges.

An estimated 4,000 drug suspects were allegedly killed by the police officers ever since Duterte was  elected as the President. But according to the CHR, the actual number is three times higher.

"The CHR is ready, if requested, to assist in any way with the process of preliminary examination. The government, as a party to the Rome Statute, is duty-bound to fully cooperate with the ICC," Gascon said.
Before the said announcement, Duterte declared last Friday that there was a technicality on the treaty establishing the ICC during the previous administration, that is why it had not become a local law.

"Do not go into that adventure. It's a messy one." Duterte said to Bensouda

"You will know. You will get your comeuppance." He added.

If can be recalled, Duterte slashed the CHR’s budget to P1000 because of the commission's criticism of Duterte's drug war, until a public outcry forced them to reverse the move.

***

What can you say about this?

Share us your thoughts by simply leaving on the comment section below. For more news updates, feel free to visit our site often. 


Thanks for dropping by and reading this post.


Source:  philstar.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.